VEGAN APPLE CRISP
This apple crisp is great for breakfast or as a snack. You can have just as is or with a splash of non-dairy milk. It´s a great alternative to porridge.
If you love porridge, then you will probably love this recipe. And if you´ve never been a fan of porridge, then you might like this delicious alternative. This recipe is still made with oats and fruits but with texture is much different than that of porridge. Instead of the typical creamy consistency of porridge, this apple crisp is crunchy on the top and soft and juicy on the bottom.
This apple crisp is very healthy and easy to make, so it is the kind of breakfast you could have every single day.
I had mine with a splash of non-dairy milk and it´s a great combo but I also had it just straight from the baking pan, with a spoon, and oh boy…that was so delicious.
OIL-FREE VEGAN APPLE CRISP
Yield 2 servings
A low-fat and vegan version of the traditional Apple Crisp - free of added oils but just as sweet and delicious. Perfect for any morning or even as a snack in the afternoon. Try serving it with a splash of non-dairy milk. Delish!
For the filling:
- 3 apples, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk or apple juice
Topping / Dry ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Topping /Wet ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons nut butter. (Optional for extra crispiness and texture. Skip for a low-fat version. For a nut-free version, use sunflower seeds butter)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Place apples, arrowroot powder and non-dairy milk in the bottom of a 24 x 16cm (or similar) and combine well.
- In a large bowl, combine the topping dry ingredients. Place 1 cup of this mixture in the food processor container bowl and pulse several times. Return mixture to the bowl.
- Add the topping wet ingredients to the dry mixture and combine using a spatula or a spoon.
- Top the apples with the oat mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 180ºC until the topping is slightly brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes outside the oven before serving.
Optional: you can serve it with a splash of non-dairy milk.
Cuisine low-fat, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free