VEGAN CREAM CHEESE (OIL-FREE)
For all those cheese lovers out there, I have a super creamy, silky smooth and tasty recipe for you today! And it is sooo versatile! You can spread it on bread, use it as a dip or even add it to your pasta dishes. Be careful though…it is addictive!
I know, I know…cheese is one of the hardest things to give up when going vegan or when starting a plant-based diet. Actually, Dr.Neal Barnard knows quite a bit about this topic so and he recentenly published a book talking about why it is so difficult to give up cheese and about why it is not a healthy at all. If you are interested, you can check it out here: “The Cheese Trap“.
In the meantime, you can make this vegan cream cheese and fall in love with its wonderful cheesy flavor and beautiful creamy and silky smooth texture 👌🏼. Many people have tried this cheese and I yet have to find someone that didn´t like it. Actually everyone is blown away by how GOOD this vegan cream cheese is. And then they ask for the recipe. Always.
But the best part? This vegan cream cheese is super versatile. You can spread it on bread and sandwiches, use it as a dip and my favorite one…add it to pasta! With just a couple of tablespoons you will take your pasta dishes to the next level. And last but not least, try to top my oil-free lasagna with several tablespoons of this cream cheese. I can´t even…🤤
This vegan cream cheese has no cholesterol and the content in saturated fat is much lower than that of cheeses made with cow´s milk. And you might ask…well, what about the calcium? Easy too. For a boost in calcium content just use fortified soy yogurt. Keep in mind that this is not necessary though, since a healthy and balanced vegan diet will provide all the calcium you need.
VEGAN OIL-FREE CREAM CHEESE
Yield 2 cups approximately
Creamy, tangy and great for spreading or even dipping. This cream cheese is vegan, gluten-free and oil-free. Try adding a few tablespoons on top of a pasta dish. Irresistible.
- 1 cup (130g) cashews (not salted /not roasted)
- 3/4 cup (175ml) soy yogurt (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ( I recommend using kala namak)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives (optional but adds a nice flavor)
- Blend all the ingredients together (except the chives) using a powerful blender until creamy and smooth. Then add the chives and serve.
- Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours for a thicker texture.
- For best results I recommend using a powerful blender such as Vitamix or Blentec. If you don´t have one, you can soak the cashews first overnight and then use the food processor or a hand blender. Since the cashews will absorb some water, reduce the soy yogurt to 1/2 cup (120ml).
- You can place it in an air-tight container and in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Courses Dips & Spreads
Cuisine Gluten-Free, Oil-Free
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. Purchasing via those links supports more great content on this site at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I honestly like and I think might be helpful for you.