INSTANT POT WILD RICE SOUP
This instant pot wild rice soup is a healthy, delicious and filling soup to keep you warm in fall and winter. This soup is also highly nutritious, rich in all the amino acids, vitamin B2, B3, B5, B6, A, K, E, C folate and minerals such as copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
A few nights ago, I was feeling super lazy so I wanted to make something easy for dinner. A hot, filling soup sounded delicious and very appetizing. I made it in the instant pot so that I could take care of other things while it was cooking, like folding clothes, cleaning the house, doing a few handstands in between or hang in my trapeze…yeah, I like multitasking.
By the way, if you don’t own an instant pot by now, let me ask you…what are you waiting for?! It is the B-E-S-T kitchen appliance EVER. Seriously, it is so easy to use and SO convenient. You just add your ingredients, set the time and forget about it and it beeps to let you know that your food is ready. Easy peasy. AND, it keeps your food warm until you are ready to eat. Amazing right?! I can’t wait to get a second one!
So, once the instant pot was done cooking, I decided to make this meal extra filling and extra delicious by preparing a thick sauce and adding it to the soup. Then, I added some toasted bread as a topping and…boom. It turned out SO delicious that I knew I had to share it with you asap.
So here you have it. A warming, filling, delicious and nutritious wild rice soup that will make the cold fall/winter days much more enjoyable.
INSTANT POT WILD RICE SOUP
Yield 4 servings
A warming, filling and delicious wild rice soup that will make the cold fall/winter days much more enjoyable. This soup is also highly nutritious, rich in all the amino acids, vitamin B2, B3, B5, B6, A, K, E, C folate and minerals such as copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- 1 cup (160g) wild rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup chopped sugar snap peas
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning (just any spice blend you can find in the supermarket).
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Creamy Sauce ingredients:
- 2 cups (470ml) non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cashew butter (substitute for sunflower seeds butter for a nut-free version) *Also, read notes.
- 1 and ½ tablespoons whole rice flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt (reduce or omit if your vegetable broth already contains salt or for a low-sodium version).
Instant Pot method
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of the instant pot, stir, cover and set vent to “sealing”.
- Cook on manual (high pressure) for 20 minutes. Let the Instant Pot rest for an extra 10 minutes (natural release). After those 10 minutes, turn the vent to “venting” and release the remaining pressure.
- During the natural release time of pressure cooking, prepare the creamy sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine all the creamy sauce ingredients and cook stirring until it has thickened.
- Add the cream sauce to the soup and stir until combined. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- Serve with toasted bread (optional - omit for a gluten-free version or use gluten-free bread instead).
- Combine all the soup ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes (don´t open the lid during the process).
- Follow steps 3-4-5 from above.
- *You can use other nut butters such as macadamia, walnut, hemp...depending on which one you use, the soup will tasted slightly different. For a more neutral flavor, choose cashew or almond butter. I made this soup with walnut butter and it was also incredibly delicious.
- * If you don’t have nut butters at home, don’t worry. Blend ⅓ cup of cashews (or any other nuts of your choice) with the non-dairy milk. Then proceed with steps 3-4. (You can also use sunflower seeds or hemp seeds instead for a nut-free version).
- You can store the soup in airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You can also freeze it.
Cuisine oil-free, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free