HEARTY VEGAN TOFU SANDWICH
Most people think vegan sandwiches are light and not filling enough. Well, this hearty vegan tofu sandwich will proof you otherwise. If you have the feeling this is something you need to eat right now, then you’re getting it.
I don’t have any sandwich recipe on the blog yet and this needs to be fixed ASAP. Say hello to your new friday night affair. Or any-day affair, because this vegan tofu sandwich is going to make you fall deeply in love with it. This sandwich is close to perfection. Because, you know, perfection would be being able to have this served to me in a restaurant and not even have to make it. Goals guys. Let me dream big.
My first sandwich recipe could have been a light, veggie filled sandwich, but no, it won´t. After hearing from SO many people that vegan sandwiches are not filling enough, I realized we needed an intervention here.
Vegan sandwiches can be highly satisfying. But that won´t happen if the only things you put in your sandwich is lettuce, tomatoes, onions and a thin layer of hummus. I mean, that’s delicious as a snack but…what if you want it as a meal? Or if you are literally starving and close to start eating your arm? In these situations you need other kind of ingredients, such as tofu, beans, avocado…
To make it even more filling, choose a whole grain bread or even a dark german bread. But my spanish blood forced me to use a french baguette or “barra de cuarto” (that’s how we call them) because that’s the kind of bread we eat the most and because it is actually what we use to make “bocadillos” (which is basically a sandwich made with this kind of bread). So this beauty would actually be called “bocadillo” in spanish and not sandwich. There you go, you learn one more thing today.
Feast your eyes guys! Isn’t it gorgeous? The first vegan sandwich on my blog and I must say I´m very proud! Filled with fried tofu slices, fried onion, dried tomatoes, silky avocado dip and served warm in a delicious french baguette. I promise, this hearty vegan tofu sandwich is YUM city.
If you try this recipes and share it on instagram, use the hashtag #bbrecipes so that I can see your creations!
HEARTY VEGAN TOFU SANDWICH
Yield 2 big sandwiches
This hearty vegan sandwich is filled with fried tofu slices, fried onion and a silky avocado cream and served warm. This might be your new favourite friday dinner.
- 200g tofu block
- 6 oil-free dried tomatoes (already hydrated)
- 1 french baguette
- 1 big onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup of this creamy avocado dip
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Pinch of salt.
- Cut the tofu block in half and then slice each half into 4 thin slices.
- Fry in a non-stick pan until golden brown on both sides.
- At the same time, heat up another non-stick pan and fry the onions until golden brown. Add a pinch of salt.
- Once the tofu is golden brown, brush each slice with some soy sauce and let them on the pan for another minute on each side (but turn of the heat).
- If you want to eat your sandwich warm (which I recommend, Y-U-M), preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Cut the french baguette in two halves and slice them open. Spread each slice with around 2 tablespoons of the avocado dip.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding the onions, the tofu and the dried tomatoes.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 180ºC.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Cuisine oil-free, nut-free