HEMP SEEDS PESTO
Pesto is one of my favourite pasta sauces. However, it is a very fatty dressing since it is made with oil and often with cheese too. But making a low-fat and much healthier version is totally possible and it tastes just as good or even better. For this recipe we are substituting the oil for hemp seeds, which are rich in the so called healthy fat and the cheese for nutritional yeast, which will give this pesto a light cheesy flavour. This hemp seeds pesto is savory, creamy, rich in flavor and will satisfy those cravings that us, pesto addicts, get once in while (or… more often that we would like to admit 🙈).
The best part of this recipe is that it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Just blend all the ingredients together and you are done. You can add this hemp seed pesto to your favourite pasta (hello spaguetti 👋🏻) or to brown rice for a delicious and nutritious pesto risotto. Oh, that actually sounds pretty awesome.
I like to mix this sauce with whole wheat pasta (already boiled) and cook both together for a couple of minutes until the pasta sucks up some of the sauce and gets creamy and hot. Top it with some pepper, chili flakes and sprouts and you just made yourself a super easy and delicious lunch. You can obviously add some cooked veggies and call this meal perfection 🤞🏻
HEMP SEEDS PESTO
Yield 3-4 servings
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup soy milk (118,30ml)
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Add all the ingredients to you blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce to a pan with some cooked pasta and heat it up for a few minutes.
- Enough for 3 big pasta servings or for 4 smaller ones.
- Reduce or skip the soy sauce and the salt for a low-sodium version.
Cuisine low-fat, nut-free