Are you looking for a dairy alternative? Or maybe just a change from other non-dairy milks? Almond milk is becoming a staple plant-based drink in many pantries. Why? Well, there are so many good things about almond milk, here´s a list of a few of it´s benefits:
- High in vitamins and other minerals, such as: vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium, calcium, copper, potassium, tryptophan and phosphorus.
- No animal protein.
- Lactose free.
- No colesterol.
- You can make it at home.
- Creamy and delicious!
Summarizing, almond milk is a delicious, healthy and a nutrient-dense drink that would make a great substitute for cow´s milk.
Although I always have some store-bought non-dairy milk in my pantry, I love and prefer to make my own almond milk. The reason is that most of those store-bought drinks have added sweateners, oils, preservatives, stabilizers…So, making your own it´s always a better option since you know exactly what goes in it and…it´s much cheaper! You can also make so many different versions of almond milk. How about chocolate flavor? Vanilla? Cinnamon? The possibilities are endless. Here is the recipe for plain almond milk. For a flavored version just add some vanilla o cinnamon. You can add a couple pitted dates to make it sweet too!
Yield 1 L
- 1 cup of almonds (soaked a minimum of 8 hours)
- 3 cups of water (or 4 cups if you prefer a lighter version)
- 3-4 pitted dates (optional, for a sweeter version)
- ¼ tsp of vanilla or cinnamon (optional)
- You will need also need a nut milk bag, cheese cloth or a very thin fabric.
- Soak the almonds overnight or for 8 hours.
- Drain the almonds and rinse well.
- Place the almonds, vanilla, dates and water in a high speed blender and blend till smooth consistency.
- Drain using a nut milk bag, cheese cloth or a very thin fabric. Press to get as much milk as possible.
- Notes: Drink it the same day or keep it in the fridge for one more day. You can discard the almond pulp or save it to make cookies, muffins or cakes.
Cuisine Low-Fat, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free