VEGGIE BURGER WITH CASHEW MAYO
Seriously guys, I have no idea why it took me so long to post this recipe. It tastes delicious, it´s pretty easy to put together and it is 100% boyfriend-approved. Actually, the last time we had a veggie burger in a restaurant, he said: “your burgers are so much better”. So I guess that says it all 😉
And last but not least… what´s a vegan blog without a vegan burger?
And…is that mayo???
Kind of. That is CASHEW mayo.
And let me tell you, it is beyond delicious. All the flavor, none of the cholesterol. Pair them together and let this dreamy combo take you to heaven.
You can bake, fry or grill them. Most homemade veggie burgers tend to fall apart, however these won´t! They can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can also double the batch (makes around 12-14 burgers) and freeze them. Then, the next time you crave a burger, you´ll be able to prepare it in less than 10 min.
Are you drooling yet? Because I am! Enjoy the moment… and in the meanwhile I´m gonna go stuff my face with this epic, healthy and homemade burger myself.
Veggie Burger with Cashew Mayo
Yield 6-7 burgers
- Ingredients for the burger:
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups cooked white rice (I used jasmine rice but any will do)
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (gluten-free flour works as well)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped or ground into a flour
- 1/3 cup chopped onions or green onions
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Ingredients for the cashew mayo:
- 2/3 cups pre-soaked cashews (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple sauce or apple juice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon of salt (use Kala Namak if you want an “eggy” taste)
- Directions for the burgers:
- In a small cup, mix ground flax seeds and water and set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the kidney beans.
- In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the flour), including the flax-water mixture. Mix thoroughly with a spoon, spatula or with your own hands. Finally add the flour and mix again until well combined.
- With your hands slightly wet, start shaping the burgers. Don´t make them too thick, otherwise they won´t cook properly.
- In a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, cook the burgers until golden brown on each side, flipping carefully.
- Arrange the burgers with some lettuce and the cashew mayo. Feel free to add other ingredients such as tomatoes, ketchup or spicy sauce.
- Directions for the mayo:
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and serve.