OIL-FREE “FRIED” TOFU
How is that even possible? Can you really make fried tofu without using any oil and that actually tastes like it´s been fried? Yes, absolutely! And it tastes even better!!! No fatty aftertaste in your mouth, just pure deliciousness!
Fried tofu has a rich flavor, it´s salty and has kind of a hard skin on the outside. Those are the three things that people LOVE about fried tofu. But it´s hard to digest and it leaves you with a fatty feeling in your mouth. Plus, your arteries definitely don´t want you to eat that stuff very often. So why not making an oil-free version of it? Will it taste good? well…I was wondering the same thing. And you know what? The answer is a huge YES. It tastes amazing 👌🏻.
You probably expect some kind of crazy recipe but I have good news. The recipe for this fried-tofu couldn´t get any easier. The key here is (as most of the times when cooking without oil) a good non-stick pan. You just have to mix six ingredients, fry the tofu, then marinate it in the sauce for a few seconds and then, fry it again. And you are done. Oil-free “fried” tofu is ready to be devoured 😋.
I love tofu but it´s never the main part of my meals. I usually like to eat a small serving combined with veggies and either potatoes or grains. So this recipe makes two small servings (you can see the serving size in the picture above). If you want this oil-free, fried-tofu as the main ingredient of you bowl, I would highly recommend to double the recipe!
I know this recipe is about oil-free, “fried” tofu, but let me tell you, the dish pictured in these photos was… BOMB. I tossed the potatoes with some smoked paprika, salt, brown rice flour and mixed herbs. Then baked them at 180ºC for 35 minutes. I also added 1/4 of an avocado and topped the broccoli with my tahini dressing (I skipped the sriracha this time) and oh my… I think I´ll double the recipe next time. Seriously, just try it 🙌🏻.
OIL-FREE FRIED TOFU
Yield 2 small servings
Oil-free fried tofu? Is that even possible? Yes, absolutely! And it is PURE deliciousness! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and pretty low in fat!
- 300 grams of tofu
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond or cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use gluten-free tamari for a gluten-free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup, agave syrup or coconut syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional but adds and amazing flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Start by cutting the tofu in small cubes. Don´t make them too thick.
- Heat up a non stick pan and spread all the pieces on top. Cook on each side until slightly brown.
- While the tofu cooks, prepare the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and combine well.
- Once the tofu is slightly brown on both sides, remove from the pan (turn off heat), add it to the bowl and combine with the sauce.
- Add the marinated tofu pieces again to the pan (spread them well) and fry on each side on medium-high heat for a few minutes. Do not stir. Just let it cook on each side, again until slightly brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 2 servings and the serving size is as pictured in the photos (quite small). If you want the tofu to be the main ingredient in your dish, I highly recommend doubling the batch (of both! the tofu AND the sauce!).
- You can store it in the fridge for up to two days and reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Cuisine oil-free, gluten-free, low-fat